Neon Properties - What are the Physical Properties of Neon?
What are the Physical Properties of Neon? The Physical properties of Neon are the characteristics that can be observed without changing the substance into another substance. Physical properties are usually those that can be observed using our senses such as color, luster, freezing point, boiling point, melting point, density, hardness and odor. The Physical Properties of Neon are as follows:
- Color : Colorless - under low pressure, it glows a bright orange-red if an electric current is passed through it
- Phase : Gas. Phase Change: Neon changes from a gas to a liquid at a temperature of -245.92°C (-410.66°F). It changes from a liquid to a solid at a temperature of 248.6°C (-415.5°F)
- Odor : Neon is an odorless gas
- Taste : A tasteless gas
- Density : Low at 0.89994 grams
- Solubility : It is soluble in water
Neon Properties - What are the Chemical Properties of Neon?
What are the Chemical Properties of Neon? They are the characteristics that determine how it will react with other substances or change from one substance to another. The better we know the nature of the substance the better we are able to understand it. Chemical properties are only observable during a chemical reaction. Reactions to substances may be brought about by changes brought about by burning, rusting, heating, exploding, tarnishing etc. The Chemical Properties of Neon are as follows:
- Chemical Formula : Ne
- Oxidation : Oxygen will not react with Neon in typical conditions
- Reactivity : Neon is chemically inactive
- Pressure : Under low pressure, it glows a bright orange-red if an electric current is passed through it
- Acid Compounds : Chemists have yet to prepare compounds of neon
- Fractionation : Neon is produced by the fractionation of air